Nurturing a workplace for women to thrive is essential to Unum’s business and a commitment it takes seriously. Those efforts were recognized recently by Forbes, where Unum joined a distinguished list of America’s Best Employers for Women. Jumping 21 spots from last year, Unum ranked 106 out of 300 companies and has made this list since 2019.
“This list was compiled by surveying 50,000 Americans with representation at the executive and board levels taken into account as well as company’s initiatives around gender equity,” said Liz Ahmed, executive vice president of People, Communications and Corporate Social Responsibility. “We are proud to be a people’s choice and will continue to foster a workplace where women are supported, encouraged and empowered for success.”
Participants were asked a series of statements surrounding atmosphere and professional development, working conditions, pay, and diversity regarding their employer.
Unum was previously recognized as part of the Top Companies for Executive Women by the National Association of Female Executives, and the Bloomberg Gender Equality Index for efforts to advance women in the workplace, and it received a 3+ rating on the Women on Boards Gender Diversity Directory by the 50/50 Women on Boards.
How Unum equips women for success
Unum offers a wide variety of programs and benefits that make a difference in the number of women hired, promoted, and equipped for success. These include:
- New Employee Network, upLIFT, focused on gender equity with the goal to upLIFT all genders through shared experiences to build community, network, and share their experiences with the company.
- Reverse mentoring program for diverse employees who may not usually get exposure to mentor senior leaders on topics such as culture and gender differences, and how to act and speak inclusively.
- Inclusion and Diversity Professional Mentoring Program for diverse employees to help develop talent across multiple dimensions of diversity.
- Authenticity Project to help women strengthen their skills and drive their own path to success.
Competitive programs and benefits for mothers and their families, including:
- Paid time off for maternity leave with access to up to 6 weeks of paid time off to use following birth or placement of a child through surrogacy, adoption, or foster care. Birth mothers may opt to use 6 weeks of paid parental leave immediately following an 8-week short-term disability benefit to recover from childbirth.
- Caregiver Leave benefit that provides five consecutive business days of paid leave for a spouse, son, daughter, or parent due to a serious health condition.
- Up to $25,000 in financial assistance for fertility treatments to those covered by Unum’s medical plan for services to diagnose and treat infertility.
- Support for nursing mothers with private mother’s rooms at home office locations and breast-milk shipping service for those traveling on company business.
- Adoption assistance program, a one-time benefit of $25,000 for full-time employees and $12,500 for part-time employees.
- Support for college costs with a $500 contribution from the company into a college 529 plan and a Student Debt Relief program to transfer up to 40 hours of paid time off into a payment toward a student loan.
- Anytime access to medical and behavioral health resources through Teladoc telehealth and the Work-Life Balance employee assistance program, with free counseling and extensive resources for families at every stage of life.
Unum is a Fortune 250 international leader in financial protection benefits with over 150 years in business — thanks to the innovation, integrity and unwavering customer focus of its talented team. Check out the company’s career page for opportunities in your area.